Advanced cosmetic treatments such as hair transplants are gaining a rapidly growing fanbase in recent times. Hair accounts for one of the foremost parts of our appearance and losing hair, for whatever reasons, can be a huge blow to the confidence of an individual.
Undergoing a hair restoration procedure is a sensitive decision and demands some planning and precautions before making a decision.
Research about the clinic and the surgeons
As sensitive as the entire matter of hair transplant is, the efficiency of the place and doctors plays a major hand in the success rate of your treatment. Therefore a background check of the clinic, the doctors, and the safety process that are being followed is highly recommended as a first step.
Ensure that you’ve gone through both online and offline records of the clinic, the credentials, and experience records of the surgeons who would be treating you. For instance, if you’re considering to go for hair transplant, going ahead with a reliable place like DHI Global Medical Group can render the best results.
Are you a good candidate to consider hair transplant?
Before you get excited about getting rid of your hair loss, a pre-treatment consultation is a must. You can easily opt for online consultancy and get your doubts cleared without even having to step out of your house.
Every person has to be treated differently because of the apparent difference in their hair loss situation. Therefore, make sure you’re getting ahead with suitable online consultation before taking the plunge. This will not only help understand your transplant better but also come in handy when you are riddled with any doubts regarding the same.
How many grafts do I need?
This question should be answered considering two things: 1) How many grafts are needed to cover the area that has been affected by alopecia. 2) How good your donor area is.
Many patients do some research before having a consultation, so they already have an idea how many grafts they “need” to achieve good results, with a “good” result meaning a dense and natural looking result. Even though this are well intended efforts, relying on an online search analysis can be deceiving. Only an expert that uses both science and technology will be able to calculate the number of grafts you “actually” need.
Patients with thicker hair may require fewer grafts to achieve the desired result. Hair transplant sessions are regularly between 800 and 4000 grafts.
Consider pre and post-surgery instructions
Avoid prior to the procedure:
- Smoking, alcoholic beverages or illegal substances 3 days prior to the procedure.
- Drugs for pain and/or inflammation (Aspirin, Advil. Flanax, Voltaren, etc) 7 days prior to the procedure.
- Suspend multivitamins, aloe vera, ginseng, gingko biloba, green tea, or any supplement protein 7 days prior to the procedure.
- Any finasteride or minoxidil treatment (lotion or shampoo) must be suspended 7 days prior to the procedure. Treatment should be resumed 1 day after the procedure.
- Do not cut your hair before the procedure. Grey hair is going to be dyed the day of the procedure.
Post-Surgery Instructions (specific instructions will be given by your doctor)
First 3 Days After:
- Driving is not recommended immediatly after the procedure.
- Keep the transplanted area moist
- Sleep on your back
- Avoid smoking, drinking alcohol or take any illicit substances
First 15 days
- Continue using baby shampoo
- Avoid direct sun exposure
- Avoid intense exercise or contact sports
- Avoid swimming in a pool or beach
- Avoid styling products
Be mindful of hair regrowth patterns
Results obtained from a hair transplant treatment are likely to vary from person to person depending on the density of hair prevalent in the donor region of the individual and its capacity to heal itself. Regrowth pattern and even the time to have full growth of transplanted hair varies from patient to patient.
In average cases, one can expect the growth of new hair by the fourth month and a gradual increase in density to up to 80% around eight months after the treatment. The final result can be observed 12-14 months after the procedure.